
晚上不能洗衣服?
Sean and Doris are a couple. They are having a conversation.
肖恩和桃樂絲是夫妻。他們正在對話。
Sean: Hi Doris, what are you doing?
肖恩:嗨,桃樂絲,你在做什麼?
Doris: I want to do some laundry, but it’s Ghost Month. I heard we shouldn’t wash clothes at night.
桃樂絲:我想洗衣服,但現在是鬼月。我聽說晚上不能洗衣服。
laundry(n.)待洗(或正在洗滌、洗完)的衣物
Sean: Really? Why not?
肖恩:真的嗎?為什麼不行?
Doris: It’s a superstition. They say it’s bad luck during Ghost Month.
桃樂絲:那是一種迷信。他們說鬼月晚上洗衣服會帶來壞運。
luck(n.)運氣、機遇、機會luck of the draw 完全靠運氣
Sean: That sounds a bit old-fashioned to me. You should wash your clothes whenever you need to.
肖恩:這聽起來有點老派。我覺得你應該想洗就洗,不用管那麼多。
old-fashioned(adj.)舊式的、老式的、過時的、老派的
Doris: But what if something bad happens?
桃樂絲:可是如果真的發生什麼壞事怎麼辦?
Sean: I don’t think you need to worry. Times have changed, and so have those rules.
肖恩:我覺得你不用擔心。現在時代不同了,那些規矩也改變了。
so(adv.) 同樣;像這樣rule(n.)規矩、規定、規則
Doris: Hmm, I guess you’re right. I really do need to wash these clothes tonight.
桃樂絲:嗯,你說得對。我今天晚上真的需要洗衣服。
Sean: Go ahead. Don’t let the old superstition get in the way.
肖恩:那就去洗吧。不要讓那些舊的迷信影響你。
go ahead持續get in the way阻撓、干擾
Doris: Alright, I’ll do it.
桃樂絲:好,我會去洗的。
Sean: Great! Better to have clean clothes than stress about something like that.
肖恩:太好了!有乾淨的衣服總比為這種事擔心來得好。
stress about sth.因~焦慮或擔心under stress處於壓力下