
禁忌食物不能拜
It is afternoon in Taipei. Emma walks past Aaron’s house. She sees a big table with food, incense, and drinks outside.
在台北的一個下午,艾瑪路過亞倫家,看見屋外擺著一張大桌子,上面有食物、香和飲料。
incense(n.)線香incense burner香爐
Emma: Hey, I saw tables with food outside today. What is happening?
艾瑪:嘿,我今天看到大家把食物擺在外面。那是在做什麼?
Aaron: That is the Ghost Festival. We prepare food for wandering spirits in the afternoon.
亞倫:那是中元普渡。我們會在下午準備食物給好兄弟。
prepare sth. for sb.為某人準備某物wandering spirits孤魂野鬼
Emma: Oh! Is it like Halloween?
艾瑪:喔!這像萬聖節嗎?
Aaron: A little, but we don’t wear costumes. We give food to show respect.
亞倫:有一點像,但我們不會穿裝扮。我們透過供品來表示敬意。
show respect表達敬意offering(n.)供品
Emma: Can you put any food you like?
艾瑪:你可以放任何你喜歡的食物嗎?
Aaron: No. There are many taboos. If you use the wrong food, people say you may have bad luck.
亞倫:不行。有很多禁忌。如果用了錯的食物,大家說可能會帶來壞運。
taboo(n.)禁忌run into bad luck遇到厄運
Emma: Really? Can you give me an example?
艾瑪:真的嗎?可以舉一個例子嗎?
Aaron: Don’t put guava. In our culture, it sounds like “bad check,” very unlucky.
亞倫:不要拜芭樂。在我們文化裡,它聽起來像「跳票」,很不吉利。
unlucky(adj.)不吉利的bad omen不祥之兆
Emma: Haha! Poor guava. What else is not allowed?
艾瑪:哈哈!可憐的芭樂。還有什麼不能拜的?
allow(v.)允許allow sb. to VR允許某人做某事
Aaron: Tomatoes. People believe they mean blood and danger.
亞倫:番茄。大家覺得它代表血光和危險。
blood(n.)血液、血統blood pressure血壓blood type血型
Emma: Oh no, I eat tomatoes every day!
艾瑪:哎呀,我每天都吃番茄!
Aaron: It’s fine to eat them, just don’t use them for the festival.
亞倫:平常吃沒問題,只是不要用在普渡祭拜。
Emma: So what food is good?
艾瑪:那什麼食物是好的呢?
Aaron: Whole chicken and fish. But don’t cut them. Spirits like complete food.
亞倫:整隻雞和整條魚。但不能切開。好兄弟喜歡完整的食物。
complete(adj.)完整的
Emma: That’s interesting. Next year, can I join you?
艾瑪:真有趣。明年我可以跟你一起參加嗎?
Aaron: Of course! You can join me, and I’ll show you how it’s done.
亞倫:當然可以!你可以跟我一起,我會教你怎麼做。