
週末一起去花市
Peter and Jane are colleagues. Peter sees Jane in the pantry.
彼得和珍是同事,彼得在茶水間遇到珍。
colleague(n.)同事pantry(n.)茶水間
Peter: Hi, how’s it going?
彼得:嗨,最近如何?
How’s it going?=How are you doing?你好嗎?最近如何?
Jane: Pretty good. Hey, do you know Karen from the accounting department?
珍:還不錯。嘿,你知道會計部的凱倫嗎?
pretty(adv.)頗、很accounting department會計部
Peter: Yeah. What about her?
彼得:知道啊,她怎麼了?
Jane: She received a bouquet of flowers from her boyfriend this morning. She seemed very surprised and touched.
珍:她今天早上收到男友送她的花束,她看起來很驚訝也很感動。
receive(v.)=get收到bouquet(n.)花束surprised(adj.)驚訝的touched(adj.)感動的=moved
Peter: I don’t get it. Why do girls love flowers so much?
彼得:我不懂耶,為什麼女生都那麼喜歡花?
get(v.)=understand理解
Jane: Well, not me. I hate flowers and surprises. I think they’re a waste of money.
珍:我沒有喔,我討厭花和驚喜,我覺得很浪費錢。
a waste of N浪費~
Peter: But I did read an article the other day that said flowers can help relieve stress.
彼得:不過我的確有讀到一篇文章談到花可以舒壓。
article(n.)文章relieve(v.)=reduce減輕
Jane: Oh, really?
珍:喔,真的嗎?
Peter: Yes, actually, it seems like when people with anxiety are surrounded by plants or forests, they may feel more relaxed.
彼得:對,其實這就像人感到焦慮的時候如果身旁有植物和森林圍繞,會覺得比較放鬆。
actually(adv.)事實上=as a matter of factanxiety(n.)焦慮be surrounded by被~環繞forest(n.)森林relaxed(adj.)感覺放鬆的=relieved
Jane: That’s probably true. My mom has been in a good mood since she started taking flower arrangement classes.
珍:真的有可能是這樣耶,我媽自從開始上插花課之後,心情都很不錯。
probably(adv.)大概be in a good mood心情好flower arrangement插花
Peter: Speaking of flowers, do you want to go to the flower market this weekend to buy some plants?
彼得:說到花,你這個週末想去花市買點盆栽嗎?
speaking of N(Ving)說到~
Jane: Sure! Let’s go together.
珍:好啊!一起去吧!