
無法想像的熱
Raj and Sandra are friends. They are chatting.
拉吉和珊卓是好朋友,他們正在聊天。
Raj: Hey Sandra, I just got off the phone with my mom in Uttar Pradesh.
拉吉:嗨,珊卓,剛剛我跟我在北方邦的媽媽通了電話。
get off the phone (with sb.) 剛(跟某人)講完電話
Sandra: Oh, really? How’s everything there?
珊卓:喔,真的嗎?那邊的情況如何?
Raj: It’s really hot. The heat is unbearable. She said it reached a scorching 47 degrees Celsius.
拉吉:情況很嚴峻。那裡的天氣熱到無法忍受。她說氣溫竟然達到了攝氏47度!
unbearable(adj.)令人難以忍受的bear(v.)忍受scorching(adj.)炙熱的、酷熱的
Sandra: That’s incredibly hot! I can’t even imagine.
珊卓:天哪,那真的是太熱了!我無法想像。
incredibly(adv.)令人無法想像地;令人難以置信地incredible(adj.)令人無法想像的;令人難以置信的
Raj: Yeah, it’s getting worse every year. My mom mentioned that it’s been a real challenge for everyone.
拉吉:是啊,每年都越來越糟。我媽媽說對大家來說都是一個巨大的挑戰。
worse是bad的比較級mention(v.)提到;提及it’s been=it has beenchallenge(n.)挑戰
Sandra: I can imagine. The extreme heat must have a huge impact on their daily lives.
珊卓:我可以想像。極端高溫一定對他們的日常生活產生了很大的影響。
extreme heat極端高溫have an impact on...對...造成很大的影響或衝擊
Raj: Definitely. It’s affecting agriculture, the economy, and people’s health.
拉吉:絕對是的。這影響到農業、經濟和人們的健康。
affect(v.)影響impact(v.)衝擊
Sandra: That’s really worrying. I hope your family are doing well and staying safe.
珊卓:那真的很令人擔憂。我希望你的家人都平安健康。
worrying(adj.)令人擔憂的worry(v.)使擔憂worried(adj.)(人)擔憂的
Raj: Me too. I told my mom to stay in the shade and drink lots of water.
拉吉:我也是。我告訴我媽媽要待在陰涼處,多喝水。
shade(n.)陰涼處
Sandra: That’s good. It’s important to stay cool and take care of themselves in such extreme weather.
珊卓:那很好。在這樣極端的天氣下,保持涼爽並照顧自己是很重要的。
take care of照顧extreme weather極端天氣
Raj: Absolutely. I’ll be checking in with her regularly to make sure she’s doing okay.
拉吉:絕對沒錯。我會定期跟她聯絡,確保她一切都好。
check in with sb.與某人聯絡
Sandra: That’s thoughtful of you.
珊卓:你真是一個體貼的人。
thoughtful(adj.)體貼的、貼心的
Raj: Thanks. It’s the least I can do for her while I’m studying in Taiwan.
拉吉:謝謝。當我在台灣唸書的時候,這是我至少能為她做的事情。
the least最少的the least one can do某人至少能做的