
得你應得
Ivy and Ian are colleagues.
艾薇和伊恩是同事。
Ian: My salary has been the same for the last two years. Do you think I should ask for a raise?
伊恩:我的薪水已經兩年沒有調整過了,妳覺得我應該要求加薪嗎?
salary(n.)薪水ask for sth. 要求…raise(n.)加薪
Ivy: That’s a pretty long time. Let me ask you this: do you think you’ve been giving it your all during your last two years at this job?
艾薇:那還滿長一段時間了耶。讓我先問你:你認為你過去兩年有盡全力做這份工作嗎?
give sth. your all全力以赴、不遺餘力
Ian: Hmm…… I think so, but sometimes I do feel that I could do better.
伊恩:嗯…我想是有,只是偶爾會覺得我能做得更好。
do(aux.)(用於強調主要動詞)
Ivy: Well, in my opinion, doing what you do best and giving it your all is really what matters most.
艾薇:嗯,我的想法是,盡全力並發揮自己所長最重要。
in one’s opinion依…的看法what(pron.)…的matter(v.)重要、有關係
Ian: So if I exert myself to the fullest and do my best, my salary is just going to go up, just like that?
伊恩:所以假如我們竭盡所能工作,薪水就會成長,是這樣嗎?
do one’s best盡全力
Ivy: That’s exactly what I mean. You earn what you deserve. Otherwise, you’re always free to choose another job.
艾薇:那正是我的意思。你會得到你應得的,否則你總是可以選擇其他工作。
deserve(v.)應得、值得otherwise(conj.)否則、不然
Ian: So, if I’m good at my job, then opportunities will open up, and I get to choose what I want.
伊恩:所以,如果我能力夠,就有機會選擇我要的。
opportunity(n.)機會、機遇get to do sth.有機會…
Ivy: Absolutely! It’s about sharpening your skills and making full use of them.
艾薇:沒錯!一切就在於精進自己的技能並將它們發揮到最大。
sharpen(v.)改善、提高skill(n.)技巧、技能make use of利用