
來自東非的尖牙
Oliver and Ashley are friends. They are talking about an escaped baboon.
奧利弗和艾希莉是朋友。他們正在談論一隻逃脫的狒狒。
talk about討論
Oliver: Did you hear about the baboon that was spotted in Taoyuan?
奧利弗:你聽說有人在桃園看到狒狒出沒的新聞了嗎?
Ashley: Oh, really? What’s a baboon?
艾希莉:喔,真的嗎?狒狒是什麼?
Oliver: Baboons are monkeys from Africa. They can be big and have a unique face with long sharp teeth.
奧利弗:狒狒是非洲的猴子。牠們可能很大,長相獨特,臉上有長而尖銳的牙齒。
unique(adj.)獨一無二的、獨特的uni-(pref.)單獨的、單一的unicorn(n.)獨角獸unisex(adj.)不分男女的
Ashley: Are they dangerous?
艾希莉:牠們會危險嗎?
dangerous(adj.)危險的
Oliver: All wild animals can be dangerous, so we need to be careful when baboons are around. However, they are not necessarily violent towards humans and usually avoid conflict if they can.
奧利弗:所有野生動物都可能有危險性,所以狒狒出沒時,我們要小心。不過,牠們不一定會攻擊人類,而且可以的話,牠們通常會避免衝突。
wild(adj.)野生的、未經馴化的;瘋狂的violent(adj.)暴力的、猛烈的avoid conflict避免衝突
Ashley: What about the one that escaped?
艾希莉:那逃脫的那隻呢?
Oliver: The news said it’s from East Africa and probably escaped from a private zoo. It might be more careful around people than other species. The experts say we should stay away from it if we see it, but there’s no need to panic.
奧利弗:新聞說牠來自東非,可能是從私人動物園逃脫的。比起其他動物,那隻狒狒對人類可能會更有戒心。專家說如果看到那隻狒狒,應該要遠離牠,但不必驚慌。
private(adj.)私人的、隱私的public(adj.)公共的、公開的private land私有土地private matter私事private company私人企業stay away from…遠離~no need to do sth.沒有做某事的必要
Ashley: I see. So, we should keep our distance and not try to feed or touch it.
艾希莉:我明白了。所以,我們應該要跟牠保持距離,也不要試圖餵食或觸摸牠。
keep one’s distance (from...)(跟~)保持距離
Oliver: Yes, exactly! Also, if you see the baboon, it’s important to tell the authorities right away so they find a safe place for it.
奧利弗:是的,沒錯!另外,如果你看到那隻狒狒,要立即通報當局,這樣他們才能找地方安置牠。
it is important to RV做某事很重要