
無力供養的可愛
Ethan and Owen are at a zoo watching pandas.
伊森和歐文在動物園裡看熊貓。
Ethan: Whenever I come to visit them, they are always asleep.
伊森:每次我來看熊貓時,牠們總是在睡覺。
whenever無論何時asleep(adj.)睡著的、fall asleep入睡
Owen: That’s true. They lead a very carefree life.
歐文:沒錯,真是過著無憂無慮的生活。
lead a ... life過如何的生活carefree(adj.)無憂無慮的
Ethan: Have you heard about what happened to the pandas in Edinburgh zoo?
伊森:你有聽說愛丁堡動物園熊貓發生的事嗎?
Owen: You mean “Yang Guang” and “Tian Tian?”
歐文:「陽光」和「甜甜」?
Ethan: Yes, they might be sent back to China next year.
伊森:對,牠們明年可能會被送回中國。
Owen: Why is that?
歐文:為什麼?
Ethan: The zoo can no longer afford them. You see, the zoo rents them from China. It costs around one million pounds per year.
伊森:不,動物園再也負擔不起這個費用。其實愛丁堡動物園是跟中國租借熊貓的,每年要花約一百萬英鎊。
afford(v.)負擔、有時間能夠、I can′t afford the time to look after my kids myself.我沒時間自己照顧孩子、affordable(adj.)負擔的起的rent(v.)租用、(n.)租金、for rent供租用pound(n.)英鎊
Owen: I guess the financial situation of the zoo is not exactly at its best right now.
歐文:我想動物園的財務狀況目前也不是說很好吧。
financial situation財務狀況at one′s best最佳狀態
Ethan: Yeah, since the zoo is running out of funds, it’s only reasonable to return the pandas back to where they’re from.
伊森:就是啊,由於動物園的資金已經快用光,送這些大熊貓回母國好像也蠻合理的。
run out用盡、用光fund(n.)資金