
麵粉價格飆升
Helen and Harry are a couple. They are at a bakery.
海倫和哈利是情侶,他們在麵包店。
Helen: Oh my goodness. Have you seen how much a cinnamon roll costs? It’s outrageous!
海倫:我的天啊。你有看到一個肉桂捲要多少錢嗎?太誇張了。
cinnamon (n.)肉桂roll (v.)翻滾,滾動 (n.)捲;spring roll 春捲outrageous (adj.)驚人的,讓人無法接受的
Harry: I have. It’s almost NT$100 now.
哈利:有啊,現在快要100台幣了。
Helen: It makes no sense! Bread and pastries are made from simple ingredients like flour, eggs, and sugar.
海倫:這一點也不合理。麵包和糕點都由像是麵粉、雞蛋和糖這類簡單的食材製成的。
sense (n.)含意,意義ingredient (n.)材料,食材be made from 由……製成
Harry: They said the flour prices have risen dramatically due to the Ukraine war.
哈利:他們說因為烏克蘭戰爭的關係,麵粉價格大幅上漲。
rise (v.)上漲,上升;三態:rise-rose-risendramatically (adv.)明顯地,戲劇性地
Helen: I see. But still, I am not paying NT$90 for a cinnamon roll or NT$100 for a loaf of bread.
海倫:原來如此。但我仍然不想要花90塊買一個肉桂捲或付100塊買一條吐司。
loaf 一條(吐司);loaves (複數)
Harry: The COA Minister Chen Chi-chung suggested that we eat more rice instead because rice prices are relatively stable.
哈利:農委會主委陳吉仲建議我們多吃米飯,因為米價相對穩定。
COA= Council of Agriculture行政院農委會instead (adv.)作為替代stable (adj.)穩定的
Helen: Haha. I’ve got to hand it to him. This is a very creative solution, but I bet many people are not going to be happy hearing this.
海倫:哈哈,我真佩服他。這是個很有創意的解決辦法,但我敢打賭很多人聽到這個一定會不高興的。
have (got) to hand it to sb. 不得不佩服(某人)creative (adj.)有創意的solution (n.)解決辦法
Harry: Indeed. His comments have drawn a lot of criticism.
哈利:的確,他的發言引發很多批評。
comment (n.)發言,評論draw-drew-drawn (v.)引起,引發criticism (n.)批評,批判;constructive criticism有建設性的批評
Helen: So, what do you say we have some fried rice for dinner?
海倫:所以,你說我們晚餐要不要吃炒飯啊?
Harry: Sounds good to me.
哈利:聽起來不錯喔。