
馬路如虎口
Norton and Verna are friends. They are chatting.
諾頓和維納是朋友。他們正在聊天。
Norton: Today is not my day.
諾頓:我今天運氣真差。
Verna: What happened?
維納:怎麼了?
Norton: I was almost hit by a car when I crossed the road this morning.
諾頓:我今天早上過馬路的時候差點被車撞。
hit(v.)碰撞、擊打cross(v.)越過、穿越
Verna: What? Did you get hurt?
維納:什麼?你有受傷嗎?
Norton: No. The driver hit the brakes when he heard me scream.
諾頓:沒有。駕駛在聽到我尖叫的時候踩了剎車。
brake(n.)剎車hit the brakes踩剎車scream(n.)(v.)尖叫
Verna: Did he run a red light?
維納:他闖紅燈嗎?
traffic light紅綠燈run a red light闖紅燈
Norton: Yes. And he was phubbing when driving.
諾頓:對。而且他在開車的時候滑手機。
Verna: I can’t believe it! Phubbing behind the wheel is very dangerous!
維納:真不敢相信!開車時滑手機很危險的!
behind(prep.)在後面wheel(n.)輪子behind the wheel開車dangerous(adj.)危險的safe(adj.)安全的
Norton: I always look both ways whenever I cross the road, but not every road user follows the traffic laws. Sometimes, drivers don’t pay full attention to the road.
諾頓:每當我過馬路時總是查看馬路兩邊,但不是每個道路使用者都會遵守交通規則。有時候駕駛並沒有全神留意路況。
whenever(conj.)每當follow(v.)遵從、跟隨follow the traffic laws(rules)遵守交通規則full(adj.)完整的、全部的pay attention to sth.注意某事
Verna: That’s true. You’re lucky that you didn’t get hurt.
維納:這倒是真的。你很幸運沒受傷。
lucky(adj.)幸運的unlucky(adj.)不幸的