
水土不服的美式披薩
Dennis and Olive are siblings. They are chatting in the living room.
丹尼斯和奧莉弗是兄妹。他們正在客廳聊天。
Dennis: Do you know that Domino’s Pizza just closed its last store in Italy?
丹尼斯:你知道達美樂關了它在義大利的最後一間店嗎?
Olive: Oh. Really? Why?
奧莉弗:噢。真的嗎?為什麼?
Dennis: I guess that Italians don’t really like to have pineapple on their pizzas. They were basically selling American pizza to the locals, who have their own ideas about what authentic pizza should taste like.
丹尼斯:我猜義大利人真的不喜歡有鳳梨在披薩上。基本上他們是在賣美式披薩給當地人,他們對於正宗披薩的口味都有自己的見解。
pineapple(n.)鳳梨basically(adv.)基本上local(n.)當地人authentic(adj.)真的、正宗的
Olive: But didn’t Domino’s try to attract Italian customers by offering home delivery? I heard that there are not many pizzerias offering delivery service in Italy.
奧莉弗:但達美樂不是試著藉由提供外送來吸引義大利顧客嗎?聽說義大利沒有很多披薩店有提供外送服務。
attract(v.)吸引customer(n.)顧客offer(v.)提供delivery(n.)運送pizzeria(n.)披薩店service(n.)服務
Dennis: That was true. Domino’s was famous for its delivery service in the beginning, but the pandemic changed everything.
丹尼斯:那倒是真的。一開始達美樂以外送服務聞名,但疫情改變了一切。
be famous for sth.以某物聞名be famous as sth.以某身份聞名pandemic(n.)大流行病
Olive: Did other pizza restaurants start to offer delivery?
奧莉弗:其他披薩餐廳開始提供外送了嗎?
Dennis: Yes. That’s why Domino’s no longer stood out in the market.
丹尼斯:是的。這就是達美樂無法在市場中脫穎而出的理由。
no longer不再stand out脫穎而出
Olive: Well, I guess the story teaches us that selling American pizza in Italy is just a bad idea.
奧莉弗:嗯,我猜這個故事告訴我們在義大利賣美式披薩不是個好主意。
Dennis: Exactly. It’s like Starbucks trying to sell bubble tea to the Taiwanese.
丹尼斯:沒錯。就像星巴克試著賣珍珠奶茶給台灣人。
bubble tea珍珠奶茶
Olive: I wouldn’t mind giving it a try if they really did, though.
奧莉弗:不過如果他們真的賣了,我倒是不介意試試看啦。
mind(v.)介意