
美加爆發大腸桿菌
Peggy and Paul are shopping at a supermarket.
佩姬和保羅正在超市購物。
Peggy: We’ve got milk, eggs, and cereal. Let’s get some chicken and lettuce now.
佩姬:我們已經拿了牛奶、雞蛋和麥片;我們現在去拿一些雞肉和生菜吧!
cereal(n.)穀類食物let(v.)讓chicken(n.)雞、雞肉
Paul: Are you gonna make some salad?
保羅:妳要做沙拉嗎?
gonna=going tosalad(n.)沙拉
Peggy: Yup! I’m putting on weight, so I wanna eat something light.
佩姬:是啊,我變胖了,所以想吃一些清淡的東西。
put on長胖、體重增加weight(n.)重量so(conj.)因此、所以wanna=want tolight(adj.)清淡的
Paul: Did you know that in America and Canada, there’s an outbreak of E. coli from eating romaine lettuce?
保羅:你知道在美國和加拿大,因為吃了蘿蔓萵苣,爆發了大腸桿菌的感染嗎?
outbreak(n.)爆發、突然發生E. coli= Escherichia coli(n.)大腸桿菌
Peggy: Is it not washed properly?
佩姬:它沒有適當地清洗嗎?
properly(adv.)適當地、恰當地
Paul: Nope, washing lettuce with running water or even scrubbing with baking soda or vinegar doesn’t ensure that all harmful germs are killed.
保羅:不是,以流動的水清洗萵苣或甚至是用蘇打粉或醋刷洗,都無法確保殺死所有有害的細菌。
nope(adv.)不、不是run(v.)流動even(adv.)連、甚至scrub(v.)擦洗、刷洗baking soda(n.)蘇打粉vinegar(n.)醋ensure(v.)確保、保證harmful(adj.)有害的germ(n.)細菌、病菌kill(v.)殺、殺死
Peggy: Then what should we do with romaine lettuce?
佩姬:那我們應該怎麼處理蘿蔓萵苣?
should(aux.)應該with(prep.)至於、對…來說
Paul: Romaine lettuce from America and Canada have been banned from being imported, and experts advise that people should throw away any romaine lettuce they have and clean the places where it’s been stored as well.
保羅:我們已禁止從美加進口蘿蔓萵苣,並且專家建議人們丟棄他們買的蘿蔓萵苣,也要清理保存它的地方。
ban(v.)禁止import(v.)進口、引入expert(n.)專家advise(v.)勸告、告知throw(v.)扔、丟throw sth. away丟棄、扔掉store(v.)儲存、儲藏
Peggy: Alright, then I’ll make fruit salad.
佩姬:好吧,那我做水果沙拉囉。