
無法正常交流
Emma and Peter are friends. Peter is a linguist. They are chatting.
艾瑪和彼得是同事。彼得是一個語言學家。他們在聊天。
linguist(n.)語言學家、linguistics語言學
Emma: My sister has been so worried these days.
艾瑪:我姐姐這些日子來一直很擔心。
Peter: Why is that? I thought she gave birth to a girl last year.
彼得:為什麼?她不是去年生了一個女孩嗎?
give birth to sb.生產
Emma: Yes. Since everyone has to put on a face mask now, including children, she worries that her kid might have trouble speaking and communicating with others.
艾瑪:沒錯。但現在每個人都必須戴上口罩,包括孩子也是,她擔心小朋友可能無法正常與別人交流。
worry(v.)擔憂have trouble doing sth.有困難communicate(v.)溝通交流、communication(n.)通訊
Peter: There’s no proof that face masks may prevent children from learning how to speak yet.
彼得:目前還沒有證據顯示口罩會阻礙孩子學習說話。
proof(n.)證據
Emma: I guess they can still read body language to know what’s going on.
艾瑪:我猜小朋友仍然可以透過肢體語言來解讀發生了什麼事情。
Peter: Exactly. So your sister shouldn’t worry.
彼得:沒錯。所以叫你姐姐不要擔心。
Emma: Well, are there any tips that I can share with her to help her kid?
艾瑪:嗯,有什麼我可以和她分享訣竅,能幫助小朋友學說話的嗎?
Peter: Try talking to the kid more and look her in the eye while doing that. She can also speak more slowly, loudly, and with more body language and hand gestures.
彼得:試著多和孩子說話,說話時臉朝著他。也可以說得慢一些、大聲一點,也可運用肢體語言和手勢來表達意思。
look sb. in the eye直盯著看slowly(adv.)緩慢地loudly(adv.)大聲地gesture(n.)姿勢手勢、示意、as a gesture of support表示支持
Emma: Got it. Thank you so much.
艾瑪:明白了。真是太感謝你了。