
諾貝爾獎得主的研究
David and Helen are roommates. Helen just bought a lottery ticket.
大衛和海倫是室友。海倫買了一張彩券。
lottery ticket樂透彩券
Helen: It’s time to check the winning numbers.
海倫:該來對一下中獎號碼了。
check(v.)檢查、查看winning number中獎號碼
David: Not today, tomorrow.
大衛:不是今天,是明天。
Helen: Oh, how I wish I could hit the jackpot!
海倫:喔,我好希望能夠中頭獎啊!
David: Do you really think that winning the lottery can bring happiness?
大衛:你真的以為中頭獎能帶來幸福嗎?
win(v.)-won贏得
Helen: Of course. Then I can buy whatever I want.
海倫:當然。我就可以買任何我想要的東西啦。
David: A Nobel-winning economist, Guido W. Imbens, has studied this question. Do you want to know his answer?
大衛:諾貝爾經濟學獎得主因本斯對這個問題做過研究。想知道他的答案嗎?
Nobel諾貝爾economist經濟學家、economy經濟answer(n., v.)答案、回答
Helen: Don’t leave me hanging.
海倫:別賣關子啦。
leave sb. hanging賣關子
David: The answer is no. He found that those who hit the jackpot are not always happier than those who don’t.
大衛:答案是否定的。他發現中獎的人不一定比沒有中獎的人還要快樂。
Helen: Well, the only thing I know is that if I don’t hit the jackpot, my five thousand dollars will be down the drain.
海倫:嗯,我只清楚一件事,如果我不中頭獎,我就白花這五千塊囉。
down the drain付諸東流
David: What! You spent too much money on the lottery!
大衛:什麼!你花太多錢買樂透啦!
spend-spent(v.)花錢、spend money on sth.