
將水煮沸
Molly and David are in the classroom working on a health project. Molly brings a bottle of mineral water, and David is making tea.
茉莉和大衛正在教室裡做健康專題。茉莉帶來一瓶礦泉水,大衛正在泡茶。
mineral(adj.)含礦物質的
Molly: Hey David, did you know bottled water can have tiny plastics inside?
茉莉:嘿,大衛,你知道嗎?瓶裝水裡可能有微小的塑膠。
plastic(n.)塑膠plastic container塑膠容器/plastic waste塑膠垃圾
David: Tiny plastics? You mean microplastics?
大衛:微小的塑膠?你是說「塑膠微粒」嗎?
Molly: Yes! One small bottle can have up to 100,000 pieces.
茉莉:對啊!一小瓶水可能有多達十萬顆。
up to最多、最高可達
David: Wow, that sounds scary. Can we even see them?
大衛:哇,聽起來好可怕。我們看得到它們嗎?
Molly: No, most are too small. But here’s the good news — boiling water can help!
茉莉:不行,大部分太小了。不過有好消息——把水煮開有幫助!
helpful(adj.)有幫助的
David: Really? Just boiling it?
大衛:真的嗎?只要煮開就好?
Molly: Yes. If you boil water and then let it cool or filter it, about 90% of the microplastics are gone.
茉莉:對啊。如果把水煮開,然後放涼或過濾,大約九成的微塑膠就會消失。
filter(v.)過濾(n.)濾網、濾紙disappear(v.)消失
David: That’s amazing! My family always boils water for tea.
大衛:太棒了!我家人平常都會煮開水泡茶。
Molly: Then you’re already doing something very healthy.
茉莉:那你們已經在做很健康的事了。
healthy(adj.)健康的、有益健康的healthful(adj.)有益健康的
David: What happens to the plastics when we boil water?
大衛:那煮開水的時候,塑膠會怎麼樣?
Molly: They stick to the white powder at the bottom of the pot. That’s why we see “limescale.”
茉莉:它們會黏在鍋底的白色粉末上。這就是為什麼我們會看到「水垢」。
stick to黏住、堅持powder(n.)粉末at the bottom of~在~的底部
David: Oh, I always thought that was just dirt!
大衛:喔,我一直以為那只是髒東西!
dirt(n.)髒污
Molly: Nope, it’s helpful! So let’s keep boiling water and stay safe.
茉莉:不是的,其實它有幫助!所以我們要繼續煮水,保持安全。
keep V-ing持續做~動作
David: Deal! Next time I drink tea, I’ll think, “Bye-bye, microplastics!”
大衛:好啊!下次我喝茶時,我會想:「掰掰,微塑膠!」