
幫別人就是幫自己
Vince and Tommy are colleagues. They are smoking outside.
文斯和湯米是同事。他們在外面抽煙。
smoke(v.)(n.)抽菸、煙霧
Vince: Pal, I have to talk to you about something.
文斯:朋友,我必須和你談談一些事情。
Tommy: What’s the matter?
湯米:怎麼了?
Vince: The whole office has been talking about you lately. Everyone thinks you’re a penny pincher.
文斯:最近整個辦公室都在討論你。大家都覺得你很小氣。
penny pincher鐵公雞=cheapskate
Tommy: Well, that’s just me. I don’t like to get the short end of the stick.
湯米:唔,那就是我的個性。我不喜歡吃虧。
get the short end of the stick吃虧、處於劣勢、take advantage of sb.占別人便宜
Vince: I know, but it wouldn’t hurt to be generous to others from time to time. And it’s not just about money. You should help others out more.
文斯:我知道,但偶爾對別人慷慨大方一點並沒有什麼壞處啊,不管是指錢的問題還是幫別人忙。
will not hurt to do sth.無妨from time to time偶爾
Tommy: Are you saying that I should do someone else a favor without asking for something in return?
湯米:你是在說我應該幫別人忙,而不要求回報嗎?
do sb. a favor幫忙ask for sth. in return要求回報
Vince: Think of it this way— doing someone else a favor is doing yourself a favor.
文斯:這麼看吧,幫別人一個忙就是幫自己一個忙。
Tommy: I got it. It surprised me a little that everyone thinks I’m a stingy person.
湯米:我明白了。大家都覺得我是小氣鬼這件事讓我有一點驚訝。
surprise(v.)使驚訝、(n.)驚喜stingy(adj.)吝嗇的
Vince: Well, I know you’re a nice fella. Just wanted to let you know.
文斯:嗯嗯,我知道你是個好人,只是讓你知道一下。
fella=guy=person人
Tommy: Thanks, Vince.
湯米:謝謝,文斯。