
有錢男人的一張嘴
Anna and Karen are chatting.
安娜和凱倫正在聊天。
be Ving 現在進行式(正在…)
Anna: George talks as if he were an expert, but we all know he’s far from it.
安娜:喬治有時候說話像個專家,但我們都知道他還差得遠呢。
as if彷彿、好像as if he were…假設語氣expert(n.)專家far from sth. 完全不…、遠非…=not at all, absolutely not
Karen: You’re right. I guess some men are like that. They act like they knew everything.
凱倫:你說得沒錯,男人都這樣,假裝自己什麼都懂。
like(prep.)像act(v.)行為、舉動like they knew…假設語氣
Anna: Do you know some sociologists found that men exaggerate more than women?
安娜:你知道一些社會學家發現,比起女孩,男孩更容易說大話嗎?
sociologist(n.)社會學家exaggerate(v.)誇張、誇大
Karen: No, I don’t, but I’m not surprised at all.
凱倫:我不知道耶,但我不訝異是這樣。
not at all一點也不…、完全不…
Anna: Well, the researchers found that rich people are more likely to overstate than the poor as well.
安娜:嗯,研究人員也發現有錢人比窮人更有可能會誇大。
researcher(n.)研究人員be likely to可能…=be prone to易於overstate(v.)把…講得過份、誇大=exaggerate
Karen: Hmm… people tend to trust what wealthy guys say even though they’re bluffing.
凱倫:嗯……人們往往會相信有錢人所說的話,即便他們是在吹牛。
tend(v.)往往會、傾向tend to=be likely to, be prone totrust(v.)相信、信任wealthy(adj.)有錢的、富有的=richeven though儘管、即使
Anna: Indeed. The study also explains why some men oversell themselves – their behavior helps them get higher wages.
安娜:的確是,這項研究也解釋男人為何會誇大自己的長處,因為這種行為能讓他們賺到比較高的薪水。
study(n.)研究oversell(v.)銷售過度behavior(n.)行為、舉止=actionwage(n.)工資、報酬=pay
Karen: So that’s why the wage gap between women and men is always that big.
凱倫:難怪兩性之間的薪資差異總是那麼大。
gap(n.)差距=differencethat(adv.)那麼、那樣