
尊重任何工作
Henry and Lisa are classmates. They are doing homework.
亨利和莉莎是同班同學,他們在寫作業。
homework(n.)作業
Henry: Ahh! The math homework really drives me crazy.
亨利:啊!數學作業真要把我搞瘋了!
drive one crazy(mad)使⋯發瘋(惱怒)
Lisa: I know. But if you don’t practice, you won’t get good grades.
莉莎:對啊,但是如果你不練習,就不會得到好成績。
practice(v.)練習grade(n.)成績if=從屬連接詞,if子句表事件的前提、條件,主要子句表條件成立後的結果;用if來連接兩個表未來的子句時,主要子句用未來式,if子句用現在簡單式代替未來式
Henry: Sometimes grades don’t mean everything.
亨利:有時候成績不代表一切。
mean(v.)表示
Lisa: My mom often said something like, “If you don’t study hard, you will end up being a farmer or a factory worker.”
莉莎:我媽媽常常這樣說,如果你不努力念書,你最後就會去做農夫或工廠工人。
end up最後成為、以⋯終結factory(n.)工廠
Henry: What’s wrong with being a farmer or a worker?
亨利:當農夫或工人有什麼不對?
Lisa: It’s hard work. You put in a lot of physical effort but only earn a little money.
莉莎:那是艱苦的工作,你付出很多勞力,但只賺到很少的錢。
physical(adj.)身體的earn(v.)賺錢
Henry: I don’t think it’s fair to say that.
亨利:我認為那樣說不公平。
fair(adj.)合理的、公平的
Lisa: How so?
莉莎:怎麼說?
How so?怎麼說?
Henry: We should not judge a person’s value by how much money he earns. We should show respect to any type of work. Besides, I will be proud of myself if I am a farmer and I grow healthy vegetables for people to enjoy.
亨利:我們不應該依一個人賺多少錢來評斷他的價值,我們應該尊重任何類型的工作,此外,如果我是農夫,種出健康的蔬菜讓人們享用,我會替自己感到驕傲的。
judge(v.)評斷value(n.)價值、價格respect(n.)(v.)尊重besides(adv.)此外
Lisa: On second thought, you are right. When it comes to being happy, all roads lead to Rome.
莉莎:仔細想想,你是對的,講到要過得快樂,條條大路通羅馬。
on second thought再考慮後when it comes to+N(Ving)…當講到⋯時all roads lead to Rome條條大路通羅馬