
動保人士:鬥牛完全過時
Billie and Derek are friends. They are chatting in a coffee shop.
比莉和德瑞克是朋友。他們在咖啡廳裡聊天。
Derek: Hey, Billie. Check out my friend’s Instagram story!
德瑞克:嘿,比莉,快看我朋友的Instagram 限時動態!
check out sth=看一看
Billie: My goodness. He’s being chased by a bunch of bulls!
比莉:我的天。他正被一群鬥牛追欸!
be being p.p.=進行式的被動態chase(v.)追逐a bunch of=很多、一大群
Derek: That’s one of the activities in the San Fermin bull-run festival.
德瑞克:這是西班牙聖費爾明奔牛節的其中一項活動。
one of sth=某事物之一
Billie: I’ve heard about it. Many bulls get hurt or die at the end of the event.
比莉:我有聽說過。許多公牛到這個活動尾聲時都會受傷或死亡。
have(has) p.p.=現在完成式at the end of sth=某事物的尾聲
Derek: I didn’t realize that. Maybe I shouldn’t consider it as a “fun” event.
德瑞克:我沒有意識到這點。也許我不該將它視做一場「有趣」的活動。
realize(v.)領悟、意識到consider(v.)認為、考慮consideration(n.)考量、體貼
Billie: Exactly. I saw on the news that many animal rights activists carried “Bullfighting is Prehistoric” signs to protest the event.
比莉:沒錯。我在新聞上看到許多動保人士手持「鬥牛完全過時」標語在活動前進行抗議。
right(n.)權利carry(v.)持有、手持carry-on baggage=登機行李historic(adj.)具歷史意義的sign(n.)標牌
Derek: I see. They wanted to point out that bullfighting is no longer suitable for today.
德瑞克:我懂了。他們想指出鬥牛這活動在今日已經不合時宜了。
point out=指出no longer=再也不suit(v.)適合
Billie: Yeah. They even dressed up as dinosaurs to gain more attention.
比莉:是啊。他們甚至裝扮成恐龍來吸引注意力。
dress up=裝扮成gain(v.)獲得attention(n.)注意力
Derek: Do dinosaurs have anything to do with this?
德瑞克:恐龍跟這件事有什麼關係?
have something to do with=與某事物有關聯
Billie: They said that dinosaurs represent the running bulls. They wanted to prove that the run could still be fun without cruelty to animals.
比莉:他們說恐龍代表奔跑的公牛。他們想證明不需要對動物做出殘忍行為,也可以讓活動很有趣。
represent(v.)象徵、代表prove(v.)證明cruelty to sth=對某事物的殘酷行為
Derek: I see. Did people listen to them and avoid going to the event?
德瑞克:了解,人們有沒有聽從他們的話而避免去這個活動呢?
avoid Ving=避免做某事
Billie: Sadly, there were still a ton of tourists.
比莉:讓人難過的是,還是有相當多的觀光客。
tour(v.)參觀、旅行tourist(n.)觀光客