
新年行大運
Emma and Derek are friends. They are chatting.
艾瑪和德瑞克是朋友。他們正在聊天。
Derek: Hey, Emma! Did you see the news about the huge snake at the ATM?
德瑞克:嘿,艾瑪!你有看到新聞上那條出現在提款機上的大蛇嗎?
Emma: No, I haven’t. A snake? At an ATM? That sounds scary!
艾瑪:沒有耶,蛇?在提款機上?聽起來好可怕!
scary(adj.)恐怖的(比較級:scarier,最高級:scariest)creepy(adj.)令人毛骨悚然的
Derek: Yeah! Someone filmed it climbing all over the machine. It was so big — over two meters long!
德瑞克:對啊!有人拍到牠在提款機上爬來爬去,超大的,有超過兩公尺長呢!
climb(v.)爬、攀爬climb over sth.爬過某物all over遍及
Emma: What kind of snake was it? Was it dangerous?
艾瑪:那是什麼蛇?有危險嗎?
dangerous(adj.)危險的in danger處於危險中a danger to sb.(sth.)對某人(某事)構成危險
Derek: It looks like a beauty rat snake. They’re not dangerous to humans, but it was shocking to see one at an ATM!
德瑞克:好像是黑眉錦蛇,牠們對人類沒什麼危險,但看到牠在提款機上還是很嚇人!
shocking(adj.)令人震驚的、令人極爲驚訝的shocked(adj.)感到震驚的be shocked by(at) sth.因(對)某事而感到震驚
Emma: I can imagine! Did it stay there for long?
艾瑪:可以想像!牠待了很久嗎?
imagine(v.)想像imagine sb. doing sth.想像某人做某事imagine sb. as…想像某人為某種身份(角色)
Derek: It climbed up and fell to the ground in the end. People were both scared and curious.
德瑞克:牠爬上去之後最後掉到地上,大家又害怕又好奇。
in the end事情或一段過程的結果at the end某事的結尾be scared of…對~感到害怕be curious about sth.對某事物感到好奇
Emma: That’s so unusual! Maybe the snake wanted to celebrate the Year of the Snake.
艾瑪:真是罕見!也許那條蛇想慶祝蛇年吧!
usual(adj.)平常的、通常的as usual一如往常not usual不尋常
Derek: Haha, maybe! I just hope it found its way back to nature safely.
德瑞克:哈哈,也許吧!我只希望牠能平安地回到大自然去。
find one’s way back to~找到回去~的路get in touch with nature親近大自然
Emma: Me too. Thanks for telling me about it — I’ll check out the video later!
艾瑪:我也是。謝謝你告訴我這件事,我晚點會去看那影片!
check out sth.=check sth. out看看
Derek: You’re welcome. Let me know what you think!
德瑞克:不客氣。告訴我你的感想喔!