
安靜的財富
Benjamin and Monica are roommates. Benjamin just got home from a betting station.
班傑明和莫妮卡是室友。班傑明剛從投注站回家。
betting station投注站
Monica: Were you buying lottery tickets again?
莫妮卡:你是不是又去買彩券了嗎?
lottery ticket彩券
Benjamin: Yes. What about it?
班傑明:是啊,怎麼了嗎?
Monica: Will you tell me if you hit the jackpot?
莫妮卡:如果你中了頭獎,你會告訴我嗎?
hit the jackpot中大獎、發生很好的事情
Benjamin: I guess. Why?
班傑明:我想會吧。怎麼了?
Monica: I just read a story about a man who won a $55 million lottery. He didn’t want to donate any money or lend money to his only sister. They haven’t spoken for years.
莫妮卡:我剛剛讀到一個故事,一個男人中了價值5500萬美元的彩券,但他不想捐任何錢,也不想把錢借給他唯一的妹妹。他們已經很多年沒有說到話了。
donate(v.)捐贈lend sth. to sb.=lend sb. sth.(v.)-lent借出、borrow(v.)借入
Benjamin: That’s a bit cold. What do you think?
班傑明:有點冷酷。你怎麼看呢?
cold(adj.)冷酷的、無情的
Monica: Money doesn’t change who you are, but it will change others’ thoughts on you. I can understand.
莫妮卡:金錢不會改變你是誰,但會改變別人對你的看法。我能理解他這麼做的理由。
thought(n.)想法+on、give it some thought考慮一下
Benjamin: Very true. A fortune in hand could lead to a series of troubles.
班傑明:沒錯。到手的大筆財富可能會導致一連串的麻煩。
fortune(n.)大筆財富in hand到手的lead to sth.導致a series of一連串的、一系列的
Monica: Still, losing touch with siblings, relatives, and friends is a very sad thing.
莫妮卡:不過,與兄弟姐妹、親戚還有朋友失聯是非常悲傷的事情。
lose touch with sb.失去聯繫sibling(n.)手足=sibrelative(n.)親戚、close relative近親
Benjamin: As long as that person is comfortable with it, I don’t see why not.
班傑明:只要那個人覺得沒關係,我想也是可以的吧。
as long as…只要=so long as…引導條件be comfortable with sth.能夠接受、放心的